Agatha Christie

Book Review: And Then There Were None - by Agatha Christie

5:04 PM

Summary from Goodreads:
Ten people, each with something to hide and something to fear, are invited to a lonely mansion on Indian Island by a host who fails to appear but leaves a recording accusing all of undetected murder. Cut off by his orders, one by one each die according to a nursery rhyme Ten Little Indians. A confession in a bottle solves how nobody remains alive.

Rating: 4/5

And Then There Were None, a mystery novel written by Agatha Christie, followed the stories of ten different people who were both victims and accused murderers. Characters died one by one, making remaining characters suspect one another, who then also died making the situation at hand very 'queer'. Most of the characters seemed to be flat at first glance, but upon further 'inspection' (or so I'd like to call it), some of them actually had more dimension. The book was well written and organized: there was good sentence variation, good characterization, just the right amount of imagery, and a great deal of suspense. There were some aspects, however, that were slightly disappointing and not at all satisfying. 

When I first started reading the book, I was quite pleased to see that the author gave the readers background information about the main characters right off the bat. The personalities were very simple and straight to the point. Even the murders they were accused of matched their personalities, making the reader wonder whether the character in question actually committed the murder or not.

The imagery was also straight to the point. There was not an unnecessarily long and detailed description of the weather or the rooms. The only information that was present in the story regarding scenery was the information that contributed to storyline which I found refreshing. In my opinion,as a reader, if there was any more description of such unimportant details, I would have skipped right through it since there was already so much going on. 

Agatha Christie was also successful in creating a suspenseful and sinister atmosphere throughout the entire novel. From the very first chapter to the very last. The author kept the reader on their toes, encouraging them to create their own theories only to have it completely crushed by the next sentence. I was very intrigued as I was reading because I realized that there were not many adjectives included with the purpose of frightening the readers, but I was still a good deal scared, especially from the middle to the ending of the book.

The one and only thing that disappointed about the book was the ending. Perhaps I am saying this because I have already seen versions of the same story, meaning I already knew what to expect, but I personally expected the ending to be so much more complex than it was. I simply was not satisfied. 

I would definitely read this book again with great pleasure and I suggest all the mystery fans give this book a read (especially if it's your first time coming across this story).   

You Might Also Like

0 comments