A Child Called It

"A Child Called 'It'" by Dave Pelzer

12:18 PM

Summary: (from goodreads)
This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games--games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive--dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60748.A_Child_Called_It_

An acquaintance of mine recommended A Child Called 'It' by Dave Pelzer telling me it was really worth my time, so I started reading it. I was under the impression that it was sad story of a man who was abused as a child by his mother, but I really was not prepared to read the horrors that were written in the pages, especially since I knew everything that was written was perfectly true. When I first read the book, it was how I imagined it to be.  It started off with him being taken away from his family by the police and then him recalling good memories he had with them. However, as I read more into the book, it slowly got more and more violent, vile, and heart-aching. There were some moments in the book which I honestly wish I could unread and forget, but at the same time, I am more informed of what actually happens to some people, and that's really why people read this book. I for one did not have the stomachs to actually finish the entire book, but I think its safe to say that I may have read some of the worst parts in the book. I definitely recommend this book to anyone that does have the stomachs to read it because it is very informative. It's important for people to know that what happened to Dave Pelzer does actually happen in real life, and most likely still currently happens to other kids too.

You Might Also Like

0 comments