The Book So Far: "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green

3:33 PM

"The Fault in Our Stars" is a book written by John Green, and under the recommendation of, well basically the whole world, I started reading it and I am currently half way finished with the book. To be honest, when I first started reading it, I thought it was good but not great. However as I kept reading and got further in the book it did get better and the uniqueness of the situation really caught my attention. Like every single good character on the face of the book world, the main character had a flaw. It was not necessarily a flaw that would catch every single reader's attention, it was more of a personality flaw, and a pretty small one at that, but it really irked me whenever it showed up which was rarely. She was pretty big on gender roles. Boys should do this and girls should do that, and let me tell you something, nothing annoys me more than that, but it probably did not bother the majority of the readers. On the positive side, Hazel Grace did have good characteristics too: she was smart and she was independent. She really cared about the people around her and did not want to hurt any of them even if it meant secluding herself from everyone. I don't think that she would have half of these characteristics  if she didn't have cancer (it is not a plot twist, it sort of plays a major role in the plot of the story). So far, most of the characters are pretty two dimensional and none of them really grow in the time span the story was written in, but I am expecting it to get better. I am looking forward to the end of the story, but I have a feeling that something bad will probably happen taking in consideration it is a story about a girl with cancer, but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

You Might Also Like

0 comments